This is Olivia's new favorite recipe because it comes from her second grade reader and is attached to a story about a hedgehog whose friends help him bake a cake (very cute). It's basic, but delicious, reminding me of good sugar cookies. I can think of a lot of ways to dress this sucker up. (Grandma Nielson's fudge frosting anyone?)
Hedgehog's Yellow Cake
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1-1/4 cup self-rising flour (or 1-1/4 cup regular flour, plus 1/2 tsp. salt and 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder)
1 tsp vanilla (good vanilla--Watkin's is the best)
1. Ask an adult to set the oven to 350.
2. Butter a 9-inch round pan.
3. Mix butter and sugar together in a bowl.
4. Add eggs, one by one.
5. Add vanilla.
6. Mix in flour.
7. Put batter into pan and bake for half an hour.
8. Eat warm with a glass of milk.